If you are looking for a complex cake recipe that will impress everyone with its taste and appearance, the Armenian Mikado cake is what you need.
Type of kitchen:
Cooking method :
In the oven
Dough for Mikado cake:
- 450 gr of flour
- 250 g of butter
- 200 g of sour cream 25%
- 2 tsp. baking powder
Cream for Mikado cake:
- boiled condensed milk pot (about 380 grams)
- 200 g butter
- 150-160 grams of powdered sugar
- 2 eggs (yolks)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 10 grams of vanilla sugar
+ 100 grams of dark chocolate (for decoration)
Recipe for cooking at home
- Leave the butter for 15 minutes in the warmth to make it thinner. Sift flour into a separate bowl with baking powder and stir. Start the butter with a mixer and gradually add the sour cream, whisk for a few more minutes. Mix the sieved dry mixture to the resulting mass and knead the dough until smooth. divide it into 8 equal parts, roll it out of each ball and lay it on the cutting board, cover all the dough with food film and send it to the refrigerator.
- Mikado Cake Dough should be brewed in the cold about an hour . After the specified time, preheat the oven to 180 / 200C, cover the pan with parchment paper. Remove one part of the dough from the refrigerator and thinly roll it into a circle about 20 cm in diameter (cut the extra edges with a knife, attaching to a batter, a dish or a shape of a suitable size). The edges of the dough should not be thrown away, but put in a separate container. Puncture the dough in several places with a fork and send the baking tray into the preheated oven.
- Bake the cake until golden brown for about 8-10 minutes. In the meantime roll out and cut the next piece of dough. Remove the baking sheet, shift the cord to the dish, and place the rolled dough on the baking sheet. Poke it with a fork and send it to bake until done.
- So roll out and bake the rest of the dough, fold the cakes into a pile and allow them to cool completely. Bake cut dough in a preheated oven until golden brown and also leave to cool. Then cook the cream for the Mikado cake.
- The yolks are separated from the proteins and left for 10 minutes at room temperature. Melt the butter in a water bath, not leading to a boil and leave to cool. Yolks start whisking with a mixer at high speed.
- Continuing to beat the yolks, pour sugar powder, cocoa powder and vanilla sugar to them with a thin trickle. When the mass becomes lush and uniform (after about 2-3 minutes), pour in gradually the butter and whisk for another minute.
- Reduce the mixer’s speed to medium and add the boiled condensed milk to the yolk cream. Whip the cream until smooth. Spread all the cakes with cream, add them with a pile. The surface and sides of the cake should be coated with the remaining cream and sent to the refrigerator.
- The Mikado cake should be in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. Cut the scraps with a rolling pin into a crumb, grate the chocolate. Finished cake sprinkled with crumbs and grated chocolate, cut into portions and served to the table. Bon appetit!