Everyone can cook the churchel on this recipe at home.
Type of kitchen:
Cooking method :
In the oven
- 3 kg of dark grapes (you need 2 liters of grape juice)
- 300 gr walnuts
- 200 grams of flour
- ~ 100 grams of sugar (not necessarily, depending on the grapes)
- 50 g hazelnut
- food colors - optional
Recipe for cooking at home
- It is desirable to use the grape variety “Isabella”. Crush the grapes and squeeze out all the juice from it. Then strain it through a sieve from the bones and flesh. Hazel clear. Walnuts, peel and divide into halves and once again in half (per quarters).
- A coarse thread (the length of the church chair depends on its length) and thread nuts on it. Must be “nut beads”, if desired, between the nuts can be left or not leave the distance. With the edge left about 5 cm of thread free, so it was convenient for them to hang a treat.
- From 2 liters of grape juice, pour 250 ml, pour the rest into a saucepan and put on fire. Stirring, bring the grape juice to a boil. Boil with a gentle boil for about 5 minutes, stirring. In a glass of the remaining juice, stir the flour until smooth, so that there are no lumps.
- Pour the flour mixture into a boiling juice with a thin trickle, stirring it continuously. If desired, you can add sugar to the resulting mass (to taste) and mix thoroughly. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes with a gentle boil, stirring.
- Meanwhile, prepare a place where you can hang the churchhell. It is important that the parchment is covered with parchment paper (you can just put a pan or dish).
- After the specified time, reduce the fire to the weakest (so that the mixture does not boil). Dip a string of nuts into the grape mass, if necessary – press down the nuts with a spoon so that the thread is completely immersed in the liquid mixture.
- Carefully, gradually remove the string with nuts from the grape. For a few seconds, hold the nuts over the pan to make the glasses excess fluid, again dip them into the grape mixture.
- Repeat the procedure several times to make the juice layer on the nuts thicker. Then hang the string with nuts to a pre-cooked place. In this way, prepare the curry from the remaining ingredients.
- Leave everything in this state for a few hours so that the juice stops flowing from the nuts. Then you can hang them in another place, preferably warm and leave to dry for at least 4 days, preferably 5.
- The churchchel is ready, it can be served as a dessert to the table. But in the classic Georgian recipe it is said that after 5 days of drying the churchchel needs to be wrapped with linen cloth and cleaned for 2-3 months to ripen. When the sugar comes out on the surface of the juice, the dessert is considered really ready.
- If desired, the juice can be divided into equal parts before cooking, and add to each little food coloring (according to the instruction on the package). But then dessert will not be so useful.