Step-by-step cooking recipe according to GOST with a photo. Baba is a lush and slightly moist cake with raisins soaked in rum syrup and covered with sugar fondant.
Type of kitchen:
Cooking method :
In the oven
Dough for rum peas:
- 400-410 gr of flour
- 150 ml of water
- 1-2 eggs (either one large or two very small) + egg for lubrication
- 50 grams of raisins
- 10 grams of vanilla sugar
- 1 h. l. dry yeast (5-7 g)
- half a hour. salt
Sugar glaze for a rum:
- 0.5 kg of sugar
- 170 ml of water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
Rum impregnation for cupcakes: 250 g sugar
Recipe for cooking at home
- Pour 150 ml of warm water into the glass, pour 1 tsp into the glass. sugar (from the total amount in the test) and yeast. Stir well and leave the mixture for 15 minutes. About 200 gr of flour sift through a sieve into a bowl, in the center make a groove. Pour into the center yeast liquid and pouring flour from the edges, kneading a tight dough. Cover the bowl with a light towel and put it in a warm place. Leave the yeast dough for about 3 and a half hours. During this time, it must rise and again “sit down.”
- After this time, eggs are hammered into a clean bowl (store them at room temperature for about 15 minutes beforehand so that they are not cold). Add salt, remaining sugar, vanilla sugar and whisk until smooth. Raisins pour boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Butter is removed from the refrigerator and held for a couple of minutes in the warmth to make it soft. Sift half the flour into the egg mixture and mix. Pour the liquid dough into the poured pan, mix thoroughly. Sift the remaining flour through the sieve and knead again.
- Add the softened butter (piecemeal), carefully kneading the homogeneous dough after each serving. Put the resulting mass on a dry, non-floured table and knead for about 5 minutes (pull it up and fold, pull it again and fold it).
- Stir in raisins (pre-drain and dry dried fruit), put it in a bowl, lightly greased with vegetable oil. Cover it with a towel and send it to the refrigerator. Dough for rum women should be infused in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Then take out the bowl, carefully knead the mass and return it to the cold again. After 1-1.5 hours, get a bowl, take out the dough on a lightly sprinkled table. divide it approximately into 16 equal parts, put them in cake molds, oiled.
- Cover the molds with rum-babies with a light towel and leave them in a warm place for an hour and a half. After the specified time, warm up the oven to 200 / 220C, pour the egg into a small container and whip it.
- Gently grease the surface of the future cupcakes with beaten egg and send them to bake. After about 35-40 minutes, the yeast cakes will be ready. Remove the molds from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Then gently move them from the molds to the surface (narrow side down) and leave to cool for at least 4 hours. Turn the cupcakes over and allow them to dry completely for another 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sugar icing for the rum women. Pour sugar into a clean pan, pour in water and put on a fire. Continuously stirring, bring the mixture to full uniformity, i.e. completely dissolving the sugar.
- As soon as the caramel begins to boil, stir it with a spoon soaked in water, remove the excess syrup from the sides of the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 3 minutes under the lid (do not open it and do not stir the caramel).
- Then remove the lid, pour the lemon juice in a few seconds and stir. Boil the caramel, stirring occasionally until the mass becomes viscous. To check caramel on readiness it is possible thus: to drop a little on a finger and to roll by means of two fingers a ball. If you get it and it goes soft to the touch – caramel is ready.
- Remove the pan from the fire and allow the sugar icing to cool completely until it is about 60C. It is advisable to put the pan in a cold place, the quicker the cooling process will be.
- Then beat the caramel with a mixer at high speed (watch the color, it should whiten). But in no case is it necessary to perevzbivat glaze, it should remain in consistency as sour cream.
- Leave the icing sugar overnight in a cool place (covering them with a food film). After the specified time, prepare the rum syrup for the cupcakes. Pour into the pan water, pour sugar and put on fire. Boil the liquid after boiling on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, allow the syrup to cool to a slightly warm state. Then add to it rum / cognac / liqueur and mix thoroughly. Puncture each cupcake in several places with a toothpick (on the narrow side) and lower it with the same side for a few seconds (about 7-10) into a slightly warm rum syrup.
- Put the syrup soaked cupcakes on a flat dish with a narrow side up, leave for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, get out the sugar frost from the refrigerator and heat it in a water bath, stirring constantly.
- As soon as the mass again becomes a consistency of liquid sour cream (50-60C), remove the container from the water bath. Dip for a couple of seconds the muffins in the sugar glaze and again out